Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Speaking the truth to Santorum

Sometimes truth comes from unexpected sources.  Now, in many ways I point to the day we moved to Sioux County, Iowa as the day that I was predestined (ha, ha, Calvinist joke) to flee fascist ideology and conservative reprssion.   My home town has been featured this year in both the New York Times and the Washington Post, using it as a test case for conservative lifestyles.  When I was growing up, my home county was something like 89% registered Republicans.  In my high school, Nader beat Gore, polling at the same rate that Nader polled in the rest of the country.  I could go on, but you get the picture.

Yet it was Sioux Center, Iowa, that stuck it to Santorum at a routine stop this week.  It's so rare that I'm proud of my hometown.  See this beautiful story:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/06/santorum-gets-testy-as-students-raise-social-issues/

Yup.  That kid who shocked Santorum, who thought he was making the safest stop in his route, by sticking up for gay marriage?  We had the same piano teacher.

Oh yeah.  It's a beautiful day to be from Iowa.

1 comment:

  1. I read the article you posted, and thought that Cornelis' questions were awesome and that Santorum couldn't answer his way out of a paper bag. Thanks for posting this! It's also really cool that you know Cornelis. It's such a small world.

    ReplyDelete