Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brownback Watch

Just in case any readers had forgotten about Sam Brownback, the governor of Kansas, and the magical shrinking rights and services our state government provides,  here are the most recent atrocities:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/jul/01/kansas-srs-closing-lawrence-service-center/?city_local

Lawrence is losing its SRS office (which oversees food stamps, child protection, disability insurance claims, etc., etc.), while many, much smaller towns are keeping theirs.  What is different about Lawrence from these towns? Ah, well, Lawrence historically votes for Democratic candidates.  Hmmm.  I am sure that our government would not be so small-minded as to deny and/or complicate services to a large community simply because the majority of that committee isn't part of your political party. This is a democracy, not a fiefdom where you must kowtow to the nobles in charge to meet your needs.

I have heard tell of protesters going to the state capital to demonstrate, only to be told they had to have permits to protest.  When asked why a group of anti-abortion activists were allowed to demonstrate, the police explained that was a rally, not a protest, which was permitted.  Now, I can't find this story again so it may be apocryphal.

This, however, appears to be a solid news source:  Brownback seeks to boost marriage rates.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/jul/03/brownback-effort-seeks-boost-marriage-rates/

Don't get me wrong, I am all for marriage.  I enjoy my marriage.  I sincerely wish that a dear friend of mine did not have to move out of state to have her marriage with her wife honored.  And I am all for improving conditions so that marriages can flourish (i.e. economic equality, more leisure time so spouses can actually spend time together, community support of marriages).  But what?  As if non-Christians can't have good marriages?  As far as I can tell, quality of marriage just doesn't have much to do with the religion of the spouses.  And I feel that polygamy actually does threaten me as a woman and as a wife; same-sex marriage does not threaten me at all.  If I or any other woman does not wish to enter into a same-sex marriage, I simply do not enter one.  That is not always true for polygamy.  And people who unfortunately get divorced should not suffer by losing all their property and access to their children.  Good policies would want to help people WANT to stay married, not just make it impossible to end a marriage legally.

All right, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment